24 August 2009

Bite size gardening.

The remarkable *a-hem* fruit of our labors...

You might venture a guess at which of these beautiful foods are not from our home garden. If you guessed the onion, you would be correct.

Are the bell peppers you pluck from your garden roughly the size of a cub-scout neckerchief slide?
We have become accustomed to that at our home this year. I'nt that bell pepper sa cute, though? Do you enjoy onion-sized watermelon on a warm summer evening? We sure do.

Another couple of photos for your viewing pleasure...


Someday soon, a real watermelon? Well, we ARE approaching September. The potential of full-sized cherry tomatoes? Maybe.

We hope to find a better remedy next summer for decreasing the growth-stunting acid level in our soil...a level that should be around 6 or 7 and is likely closer to 26 or 27 this year. It was all worth a try.

Have a green thumb? (P.S. We do not.) We have plenty of open garden space for you.
You are sure welcome to come and join us next year.


Maybe next summer we will wear these gloves while out in the garden...It couldn't hurt right?



9 comments:

The Dillon's said...

Oh, you make me laugh. I enjoyed seeing the gardening experience and realized that is a good reason I should not try. Ha! I have really good friends that grow food for the farmer's market and give me some out of sympathy for our "non green thumbs". Love ya!

The Dillon's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WendyJ said...

We try melons, but they never work. Yours look great. We'll trade for some tomatoes...we have more than we could ever use.

alex said...

This is hilarious. I have the same "luck" when I try to grow food. Somehow, we can keep flowers alive, but not anything edible. I love the baby watermelons- maybe you can market them to small families, individuals, or couples. :)

Laura said...

Our bell peppers and melons look just like yours! Our tomatoes did well, though, and I think our strawberries would if Maddie wouldn't pick them all while they're still green.

Britt said...

I think we bought the same watermelon seeds.

Anonymous said...

HaLaRiOuS!!!! All the way across the boards.

tookiecramer said...

I once called a co-worker to come to my house and tell mee why my watermelon plant weren't growing more round. They were zucchinis. It must be hereditary.

Toad said...

That is so funny and yet so sad at the same time. Good luck next year :0)