08 April 2009

Calling all Binghams...

So, I love food...I think we all love food. I have a long time friend whose family started a recipe blog called deliciouslyjones. They were kind enough to send me an invite to their always-fabulous food blog. The parents and all of the siblings and their spouses are all contributors to the blog and can post anytime they would like. On this blog they share long time favorite recipes, newly discovered favorites, etc. Something else they do on this blog is create a post anytime anyone in the family, adult or child, has a birthday. They always include a clever photo (think google-image) of some amazing cake that particular family member might love. As their family is also very large, they have posted a crazy number of intricately cool cake photos, such as...

this

this
I once made a frog version of this flaming-eyes cake...it didn't look as schmancy.

this

& this

If our family were to have a similar blog & if it were Jared's birthday, one of us might choose to post a photo of this Dungeons & Dragons cake...
or this one, inspired by Eddie Van Halen's guitar...

Seriously, we really need mom and dad to post some of their greatest signature dishes...i.e. stuffed pork chops, fried beef chimichangas, twice-baked potatoes, steak & everything sandwiches, jello cheesecake in various shades, etc. Maybe Richard could share some of his newly acquired pie-baking skills on such a blog. Maybe some of you want the recipe for Jim's grandmother's tamales that she boiled, wrapped in torn-strips of old bed sheets...hmmm. Love her! I am quite sure we also need a place to document many delicious desserts made by various great chefs in our family. Oh & Melissa,

instructions please!

If you want to include a photo of yourself with your delicious food, even eating your delicious food, great! My friends have had this family blog for a little less than a year and it is being updated on a regular basis with fabulous & tasty food. I think it is working quite well for them. IMHO (look at me using texting language), there are too many good chefs in this family to not have a place to document it all. So, what do you think? Send your thoughts and ideas this way & somebody give this blog a name please.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I would support such a blog. But here is my question:

Mom makes twice baked potatoes?
And stuffed pork chops?

I think it should be called
"Oh, Gravy!" after Mom's expression of yore. Or in the same vein "Set the Table, Mabel."

And yes, I want that tamale recipe. But will they still turn out if I don't cook them in OLD SHEETS *dry heaving quietly in the background.*

And we don't need to say nice things about each other on our birthdays. We are not cheesy that way.

Word verification: FERSTO!

tookiecramer said...

Lori, have you met our family? Sure we like food and make some good stuff to eat. But those cakes look like they were made by a family of all Lori's. The rest of us are not nearly as talented. Maybe Richard and his pies. I don't know. Having said this, I would support the blog but just don't get your hopes up. I think it may be a little more white trashy than your friends cutesy one. Josh's names are perfect - either one.

Lori said...

Tookie: You kaboshed the cake idea. I like the 'google-image a cake photo' idea. Maybe they should be photos of the most white-trash cakes we can find. Like this...
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9770/kittylittercakegm7.jpg OR
this... http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_il1VQOZwFfU/SKnbLb7rBQI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/vkSQK0RotWY/s400/untitled.bmp

P.S. There is no Lori, or "family of Lori's", I know who would attempt to make a cake like these crazy fondant cakes. My one experience with fondant was my last!

Josh: Way to name the blog! Done. Maybe everyone can weigh in on which name of the two.

Anonymous said...

So here's the thing... I'm not a Bingham. Right. Ok. I can deal with the simple fact that this is a biased post and not complain. That is until I find out it's a private recipe blog. Ahem. No reason to feel jealous that I couldn't participate...just if I weren't able to read it and steal recipes for the Dillon crew.

By the way...the gagging about the bed sheets is not limited to Binghams alone. Took me quite sometime to place the delicious tamales in my mouth after I knew- splendid as they were. I am with you, there's GOT TO be a better way for that. It wasn't until I was too attached to the freaking awesome taste that I even found out they were wrapped in the darn sheets. By then, well...My mouth took over in the battle with reason and logic.

And doesn't this explain alot about Jim anyway? :)

Anonymous said...

...the funny things we Dillon's do, I mean. There are many of these funky traditions (it's our grandma's fault)and Jim's humor represents us well. :)

Love you bro.

Shelley Jones said...

"I once made a frog version of this flaming-eyes cake...it didn't look as schmancy."

Oh, Lori, I remember that frog cake, and it certainly was as schmancy. I don't remember whether you and Dave made it for me or you and I made it for Dave, but it was the best birthday cake to grace the Joneses' table.

alex said...

I am not a Bingham or a Jones, but I want a link to the food blog. I did TRY once to make a cake with fondant. My sis-in-law does actually make beautimous wedding cakes that look like the pictures.

Richard said...

My vote is for "Set the Table, Mabel." I would gladly participate in said blog.